Sunday, February 17, 2008

Vanilla forum + php - Ajax

The last time I coded something and got recognized for that was in college when I designed the online treasure hunt built out of simple php. It was a great hit. Trust me, coders love it when their code makes feat.
This time I designed something for my team. My lead in TCS motivated me to do something. This time things were much more complicated. I built from scratch an application were in team members are provided with points every month for different activities they do. The login system dual functional. Upon login, the script dynamically decides whether he is an admin or a normal team member. Admins have access to grant/revoke points to associates and team members have rights to view their achievements. I used Mysql DBMS for all the data. The system works flawlessly. I used session management for securing the pages and md5 hash to encrypt passwords. To spruce it up and get the WOW effect I used scriptaculous library. I called this software the Business Intelligence Universe.

I also release one more software the Business Intelligence Tech Forum. I used the open source Vanilla forum software (I heard there is a serious project going on with Drupal-Vanilla collaboration). For starters, Vanilla is a simple forum written in php. It does not have all the great functionalities as other traditional forums. That is just what I wanted so that I could code in new stuffs. I modified the scripts quite a bit to connect to Mysql dbms and display data on the go. IT works like a gem.

I released Business Intelligence Universe and Business Intelligence Tech Forum on Valentines day as that was the deadline granted to me by my lead. To commemorate this we made artistic cut out and put it up at the entrance.

2 comments:

maroon-beret said...

man u got great talents buddy - the BI universe and galaxy rocks !! GREAT work .. and keep going ,,

Prabhu Infant said...

Thanks boss! Wouldn't have moved a muscle if you hadn't motivated me. :-)