Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hardy Heron on XPS 1330

Ubuntu has been a fantasy for me for around 2.5 yrs. But I was always falling short of the hardware to actually leverage the best out of the GUI entities of the OS. Well, this time things were different. I did the same thing as I used to do in India. Went to the Ubuntu ship-it web-page and placed an online order for the latest Ubuntu CD - Hardy Heron. Got it in a week in my mail-box.

I was really impressed by the installer itself. The partitioner recognizes your windows partition and lets you drag a bar and adjust the space to be shared between Vista and Ubuntu. Lovely!. Once I was done with the installation, I used the compiz package to enable the eye-candy. It was just awesome. In terms of the eye-candy I would say Ubuntu is way ahead of Vista.

No comments: