Friday, August 17, 2007

Ubuntu saves XP

I wanted to install IE 7 on my lappy the other day, so I downloaded it and ran the set up.
The download went fine until the end. Suddenly it gave me an alert saying a file was not found, I never realized what file it would be and what could be its significance and hit the OK button. Immediately my system started to shut down. It rebooted within seconds and I selected XP from GRUB. I gave my login password and I was taken to a blank screen. Couldn't do anything at all. The only thing that worked was CTR-L - ALT - DEL. I could run processes from that, tried iexplore, but the network was not getting activated so I couldn't access the net either. Basically the EXPLORER.exe could not be started because a system32 file "normaliz.dll" got deleted during the IE7 update. I thought of googling so got into UBUNTU and gave a search. There was no satisfactory work around for this. Basically I was screwed. Then came the idea of accessing ntfs folder from UBUNTU and get the file to its place. After some significant googling I got a driver "ntfs-3g" which helped me get write access to NTFS drives. I got could get write access to all other drives than the drive that had system32 due to some config problem. Not a problem! I got the file into another directorie that had write access. Rebooted. Logged into XP, through task manager, ran cmd.exe, copied the file from its location to system32 folder. Then ran EXPLORER.exe. Voila!!!!!
Feisty fawn saved my day.

1 comment:

Devadutta Ghat said...

Cool.. but you could have got the ntfs driver installed off Synaptic package manager.. that way, it was just two clicks :)